Breaking News
  • High School Varsity Track @ Wamego May 3, 2024
  • High School Softball Banquet May 2, 2024 @ High School Cafeteria
  • May 4, 2024 (Saturday) Forensic and Journalism State Competitions
  • No School May 1, 2024

The Hoof Print

The Student News Site of Rock Creek High School

The Hoof Print

The Hoof Print

Batting 300

Rock Creek Softball celebrates 300 wins for their coach Jeri Brummett.
Brummett smiles as the team gathers to celebrate their victory.
Koda Moeller

On April 2, 2024 Rock creek High School hosted a game against Abilene that kept fans on the edge of their seats. Rock Creek High School’s beloved softball coach, Jeri Brummett, clinched a landmark career victory of 300 wins. This monumental win not only cements Coach Brummetts legacy in the school’s athletic history but also serves as a testament to the relentless dedication, strategic brilliance, and inspirational leadership they have brought to the field over the years. As the final timer beeped, the crowd erupted in cheers, celebrating a milestone that’s about more than just softball —it’s about the lives Coach Brummett has touched and the community she’s built.

After years of coaching, changing lives, winning and losing, Coach Brummett’s name has become synonymous with Rock Creek High School. 

“24 years in total, and coached for six years at Homestead high school, but I did not coach softball there, I coached basketball and volleyball but not softball.” Brummett explains. 

As coach Brummett secured her 300th win in her career, the milestone did more than add another victory in the record books, it created a bond between the team and coach. 

“I don’t know what it means to my players. I feel like it just means that I’ve been here a long time and we’ve done stuff at a pretty high level. A lot of people got to 300 wins sooner than I did. But this is our path and I can’t remember all the wins. I remember a handful of them that were super significant. But I remember a lot of times with kids that we had a great time and that’s probably more important than the wins that people leave here and they can think fondly of their time at Rock Creek.” Brummett reflects. 

From humble beginnings to talented players, the Rock Creek High School softball program has grown and changed over the years with Coach’s help.  

“I think the game has grown a ton since we started. I started in 1999. So my first season was the spring of 2000. Not as many kids playing summer ball at a high level have there been a lot of joy and love for the game in the last 20 years. So I think that has grown the game. I think the collegiate level of play like people see Oklahoma being successful or Tennessee or LSU or whatever program people like the level of play has. It’s more televised, it’s more broadcast. So I think everybody’s seeing the game more and enjoying it more.” Brummett expressed.

Not only have the coaches contributed to the softball team’s success, but players have also played an important role in the success. 

“Concerted effort, a lot of hard work, a lot of commitment has been put into this program and a lot of trying to get kids to get better at a game that we’re all passionate about, we lost a lot of games that we probably shouldn’t have lost, but we play a lot of tough teams so I take a lot of pride and I’m glad that we have a successful program but success can be measured in a lot more than wins.” Brummett says.

As the sun sets on the diamond, the echoes of cheers for the 300th victory still linger in the air. For Coach Brumett and the Rock Creek softball team, this isn’t just a number, it’s a milestone that encapsulates years of dedication, teamwork, and the relentless pursuit of excellence. Looking ahead, the team is poised to continue their legacy, building on the foundation of this historic win and setting their sights on new challenges and triumphs. From the Rock Creek family and community, congratulations to the coaches and players on this victory!