Swinging into New Territory: Rock Creek Welcomes Golf to its Athletic Program

A preview to Rock Creek High’s new golf team.

Imagine the perfect swing, the bright green grass, and the sound of the club connecting with the ball. The exhilarating sport of golf will soon be a part of the Rock Creek High School (RCHS) athletics program.

Rock Creek’s Golf team is supposed to take place spring of 2024. Although the season is starting soon, there has not been much information released about the Golf team. I have interviewed Kristi Timm, Assistant Superintendent of RCHS to give us a little background of what it takes to add a new sport to our program.

When considering adding a new sport to the program the school board will turn to the students for input. “But typically when a new sport is considered, it comes from input from students just showing the level of interest,” Timm explained.

Not only is the input of students important, but the input of the athletic director and other athletic directors in our league is a big part of the process.

“The next part of that process is where the athletic director would visit with other athletic directors of league schools and be able to look at the amount of competition that would be able to be scheduled in our area,” Timm said. When adding a new sport to the school’s athletics a lot of changes and decisions to schedule, time, transportation, players, and coaches are some of the things that the school has to take into consideration when adding a new sport.

Although there are a lot of challenges that take place there are also a lot of benefits to adding a new sport. “I definitely think the benefits are that we’re able to offer more options to students, for example when there’s only one activity offered during a season that’s pretty limited, especially if there’s a lot of interest in that activity,” Timm explains. There is only a certain amount of positions guaranteed and playing time for other sports.

Adding a golf team to RCHS will give students additional opportunities to try something new and possibly get more playing time.

Grades can play a major factor when wanting a spot or playing time on a team. Like most schools, you have to keep your grades up to be eligible to play/practice. “There’s that definite benefit to being very motivated in the classroom to be able to play that sport or be in the activity after school,” Timm Stated. Rock Creek’s changes that are unfolding are not just physical but also reflect the evolving needs and aspirations of its students.

The bigger Rock Creek gets the more activities the school needs to be able to offer. “As we grow, then we just see a lot more students who are interested in going out for things and being involved in extracurricular activities,” Timm explains. Rock Creek students have not only shown interest in golf. “I think Golf is a good addition, currently, but I also know that there’s been a lot of interest in adding soccer, there’s been some interest in the possibility of tennis,” Timm said.

Adding new sports and activities is a good way to keep students involved and active. With the introduction of golf, our school is not only expanding its athletic program but also creating new opportunities for students to learn, grow, and excel. As we cheer on this new team, we celebrate inclusion and teamwork.