All About Kenadee

Photo courtesy of Jessica Slama.
Photo courtesy of Jessica Slama.

Kenadee Stueve decided to join journalism her sophomore year not knowing what to expect after a friend suggested that it might be an easier class to take. She went from being unsure about what the class was even about to being in a leadership position his senior year as the Rock Creek Journalism Copy Editor. “We were picking out classes. . . I’ll join journalism, that’ll be cool.” ever since she has enjoyed her time being on the Journalism team. 

Although she happened into journalism on a whim, she has always been interested and participated in several different activities at Rock Creek. Just like journalism she also joined cheer her sophomore year. 

“I actually really enjoy cheer because it’s like Journalism. I get to become friends with people I wouldn’t normally become friends with if they weren’t on the cheer team.” 

Besides being on the cheer team, Stueve’s first article was written for the RC environmental club. Which happens to be another club she is involved in here at Rock Creek.  “My sophomore year I did the Rock Creek environmental page. And it was the club’s first year so it was really really hard, but I wrote a really good article for it and everyone was raving over my article.” 

From being an intro student, to being in the advanced class, Stueve has shared what has made her a better journalist and what journalism has really taught her through the many years of being on the team. “I feel like I don’t really share my opinions about certain things, but it’s taught me to not be bias and to look at both sides. To make them think whatever happened because I’m very one track mind, but it’s helped me become more open minded to different people’s ideas, and how they view things.”

Stueve has described that along on what made her a better journalist, one of her all time favorite memories of journalism happened last year on their way to a conference in Topeka. “My favorite journalism memory happened last year. On our way to a conference in Topeka…  all of a sudden Mrs. Schmidt said, Oh, my God, I’m getting pulled over. And she got pulled over on the interstate on the way to Topeka and we were late to the conference. That was super funny, you can’t forget when your teacher gets pulled over.”

Stueve mentioned that Journalism is like one big family that keeps growing every year. It can be such a comforting space that people are able to express who you are. “It’s like the Kardashian family. Once you’re in, you can’t get out.”