Breaking News
  • High School Varsity Track @ Wamego May 3, 2024
  • High School Softball Banquet May 2, 2024 @ High School Cafeteria
  • May 4, 2024 (Saturday) Forensic and Journalism State Competitions
  • No School May 1, 2024

The Hoof Print

The Student News Site of Rock Creek High School

The Hoof Print

The Hoof Print

Rising From The Rubble

The northern half of USD 323 becomes devastated by a tornado with little warning.
Koda Moeller
The impact of this evening’s tornado on Westmorland

In the heart of the American Midwest, nestled between rolling fields of corn and wheat, lies the small town of Westmoreland, Kansas.

This close-knit community of farmers and families had always prided itself on their resilience in the face of challenges. 

But nothing could prepare them for what was about to unfold.

It was a warm, sunny afternoon, and the residents of Westmoreland were going about their daily lives, unaware of the imminent danger looming overhead. 

The sky was clear, and there was nothing on the radar to suggest any impending storms. 

But suddenly, without warning, a tornado touched down on the outskirts of town.

The tornado tore through the countryside, uprooting trees, demolishing homes, breaking in windows, and leaving a trail of destruction in its wake.

As it barreled towards Westmoreland, panic ensued. 

The townspeople scrambled to seek shelter, but the tornado struck with such force that many buildings were reduced to rubble in a matter of minutes.

The impact on the community is devastating. 

Homes were destroyed, livelihoods were lost, and loved ones were lost.

The town’s infrastructure was severely damaged, leaving residents without power, or communication lines. 

Emergency services were stretched to their limits as they attempted to help and assess all the damage.

Pottawatomie County police officers stopped by as many houses as they could checking to make sure everyone was accounted for and safe.

But amidst the chaos and destruction, the people of Westmoreland came together in a display of strength and solidarity. 

Neighbors helping neighbors, strangers became friends, and the community rallied together in attempts to rebuild and recover the community.

It will be a long and tedious process, but slowly, life will begin to return to normal in this community.

The tornado may have left a path of destruction in its wake, but it also brought out the best in the people of Westmoreland. 

Through their resilience and determination, they were able to overcome adversity and emerge stronger than ever. 

And as the town slowly rebuilds and recovers, it serves as a testament to the indomitable spirit of the town and its residents.

Update: Several business have expressed their concern and are providing help to those who have been affected.

• Mc Graw’s (785-776-9588)
  • TRU Church (785-493-4884)
  • S’mores and More Camper Rentals (620-704-4324)
  • Rock Creek High School opened as a shelter (9355 Flush Rd)