Breaking News
  • High School Varsity Track @ Wamego May 3, 2024
  • High School Softball Banquet May 2, 2024 @ High School Cafeteria
  • May 4, 2024 (Saturday) Forensic and Journalism State Competitions
  • No School May 1, 2024

The Hoof Print

The Student News Site of Rock Creek High School

The Hoof Print

The Hoof Print

Meet the Rock Creek Journalism Social Media Manager

Get to know the personality behind the screen.
Samantha+Johnson+catches+the+photographer+at+KU+media+day.+
Sydney Scheerer
Samantha Johnson catches the photographer at KU media day.

Samantha Johnson is a senior at Rock Creek and is the social media manager for the high school Advanced Journalism class. She is in four clubs total, Environmental Club, Art Guild, Forensics Club, and Yellow Ribbon. 

She expresses why she enjoys the different clubs that she’s involved in. “I liked that we don’t meet that often. I like that we actually do one thing. And then we have a meeting like a month after. Because then it’s not like it’s packed together. And I actually can procrastinate on it, which I need sometimes. But it’s just nice. And you can, like, suggest anything you want. You can make any ideas. And then if people agree with you, just that idea was yours, like I made that. That’s so cool.”

Johnson shares what she enjoys about high school. “I like how many different varieties I have been given and how much freedom I have been given.

Johnson gives advice for any freshmen that are going into journalism.“Don’t stress about anything too much.” 

Johnson has been the social media manager for one year now, this year will complete her second year. Her role as the social media manager is to plan the future for Advanced Journalism as new TikTok and Instagram posts come out regularly. Along with specifically more modernized posts that have a more artistic appeal to the student eye, she also keeps up with trends to engage the student body in content they will be interested in. 

When Johnson was asked about what she wanted her first job to be, she stated. “I’m actually off the bat, I’m going to be a camp counselor this summer. And it’s the most exciting thing going on but I’m excited for it. And I wouldn’t want to change anything.”

“I am so excited, that’s gonna be my first job. Because I know the environment is so happy and supportive. And I know a lot of people’s first jobs are awful and terrible. And they’re just so negative, but mine is so positive and happy. And I’m looking forward to it every single day to be around those people.” 

Even though planning for the future can be a little scary and difficult, Johnson shares that after being a camp counselor, “I was thinking about teaching, and then pediatrics. And then an esthetician. But it changes like every month. So I have no idea actually.” 

She also said that if she was a writer, “I would definitely write about young adults. Maybe romance? I really love thrillers. So thrillers, I’ve kind of been interested in that a lot. I’ve never attempted to. I’m terrified just because of the size and because they’re so big.”

It is completely understandable that she doesn’t know exactly what she wants to do because there are so many fascinating jobs to try in the world.