Breaking News
  • High School Varsity Track @ Wamego May 3, 2024
  • High School Softball Banquet May 2, 2024 @ High School Cafeteria
  • May 4, 2024 (Saturday) Forensic and Journalism State Competitions
  • No School May 1, 2024

The Hoof Print

The Student News Site of Rock Creek High School

The Hoof Print

The Hoof Print

Swinging for Success

A inside look at the Junior Varsity’s upcoming 2024 season.
    The+JV+baseball+team+lines+the+dugout+in+anticipation+of+the+new+game.+
    Kyndal Crain
    The JV baseball team lines the dugout in anticipation of the new game.

As the spring air fills with the crack of bats and the thud of balls hitting gloves, the Rock Creek Mustangs are lacing up their cleats and taking on the diamond with fresh determination. With many different types of players and promising freshmen, the Junior Varsity baseball team is gearing up for what could be their most thrilling season yet.

After talking to the JV’s head coach, Patrick Bramhall, his enthusiasm for the game was undeniable. He has a clear yet ambitious vision for the team. Bramhall states, “My goals for the JV baseball team this spring is to get better every single day and to improve to the point they are pushing the Varsity players for playing time. This means they are improving in a way that will prepare them for Varsity baseball in future seasons.”

Rock Creek’s freshman catcher, Noah Valburg, doesn’t just catch pitches- he catches the trust of his teammates. Valburg shares insight on his approach to maintaining a seamless pitcher-catcher relationship, a strategy that begins long before the first pitch is thrown. “I have a bond with all the pitchers, it helps us stay on the same page so we can execute the right plays.”

Sophomore Peter Martinie is a versatile player, taking on various infield positions for his high school baseball team. In conversation about his goals, Martinie shared “My personal goal for the season is to improve every single day and put in all my effort.”

As the Rock Creek Mustangs take on the diamond this spring, their blend of diverse players provides promising moments for triumph and personal growth. Coach Branhall sees more than just games won and lost. The most rewarding part of coaching Bramhall shares, “Is the relationship that you get to build with players all 4 years they are in the program. Getting to go to practice everyday and see kids improve and grow as players and as young adults is awesome, I enjoy every minute of it. I have the luxury of coaching these kids in JV then getting to see them move up and develop into varsity players…”