Breaking News
  • High School Varsity Track @ Wamego May 3, 2024
  • High School Softball Banquet May 2, 2024 @ High School Cafeteria
  • May 4, 2024 (Saturday) Forensic and Journalism State Competitions
  • No School May 1, 2024

The Hoof Print

The Student News Site of Rock Creek High School

The Hoof Print

The Hoof Print

Meet Rock Creek’s Graphic Designer

A big/little interview between staff members Kyndal and Mycah.

Some people may think that journalism is an easy class that puts pictures and articles on paper, but they do not realize the time and skill it takes to design a yearbook. The graphic designer for Rock Creek, senior, Mycah Shultz, shares about her experience and struggles in Journalism over the past two years. 

“My experience overall has been super enjoyable and fun. The journalism class is small and close-knit. It is like a true family,” Schultz said. “We all bother each other at least a little bit but it’s part of what makes doing the yearbook so fun!” 

Schultz is the graphic designer for the Rock Creek yearbook and this is her first full year being in charge of designing the yearbook. 

“I told Mrs. Schmidt I wanted to do design and I don’t want to write and don’t love taking pictures,” Schultz said.  “I expressed that I really really really really wanted to do it and over the summer Ashley, Taylor, and Mrs. Schmidt decided that I would be great at doing design.” 

Since it was Schultz’s first year designing the yearbook, she had a lot to learn. 

“I learned a little bit from Alena Rupp, who was the designer last year about what we need to do and what it needs to be like,” Schultz said. 

She also shares advice to anyone who wants to take Journalism in high school at Rock Creek. 

“Don’t stress out too much. I swear Mrs. Schmidt is nice if you just ask her questions and if you do your stuff on time,” Shultz said.

Mycah also gives students some tips on how they can prove themselves to Mrs. Schmidt and show her that they really do want to be in Journalism. 

“People can prove themselves to Mrs. Schmidt by taking initiative,” Schultz said. “Don’t slack around in her class and don’t be on your phone constantly.” 

Shultz also expresses her love for art. She is a part of the Art Guild at Rock Creek High School. 

“I love art. I’ve loved it since I was tiny. My mom is an art major, so that kind of inspired everything,” Schultz said. “I was given a very clear path for things because she already had all the materials I needed, so it was convenient.” 

Many people may think that Journalism is boring and is always stressful and while at times that can be the case, it is not always like that. 

“If we don’t have the things that we need it is extremely stressful and not fun at all,” Schultz said. “But when it’s smooth cruising, it’s okay. I know I have to get things done but it’s enjoyable.”