Breaking News
  • High School Varsity Track @ Wamego May 3, 2024
  • High School Softball Banquet May 2, 2024 @ High School Cafeteria
  • May 4, 2024 (Saturday) Forensic and Journalism State Competitions
  • No School May 1, 2024

The Hoof Print

The Student News Site of Rock Creek High School

The Hoof Print

The Hoof Print

Mustang Struggles

A look at the boys basketball season and how they expect to recover from home losses.
Mustang+Struggles
Drew Becker

After a string of tough losses at home, the Rock Creek’s Boys Basketball program are looking for answers to turn their game around in front of their home crowd, as they are in a great position to make a state title run. 

Rock Creek is 16-4 on the season however, all 4 losses are strangely at home. On the road the Mustangs are 10-0, as they seem to love the feeling of being the “villain”. When Head Coach Justin Smith was asked why this may be, he said a lack of focus at home, “I hear there’s a lot of other things going on. And I think that’s probably on me as a coach to make sure that they do a better job of being locked in,” Smith said.

The Mustangs have gone on many scoring droughts this season, which is one reason why Rock Creek may be struggling at home. When asked about Rock Creek’s Scoring drought, “I mean, we just kind of sit around and pass the ball around and when you do that, it’s not gonna workout,” Smith said.

Rock Creek looks forward to hosting both sub-state games on their way to Salina at Tony’s Pizza Event Center. Next week they will host Bishop Miege at home on Wednesday at 6 p.m. as they try to get past their home struggles. When asked how to get the team’s confidence up,  “Completely up to them. I mean, we’ve shown obviously and even at home games played well last Friday against St. Mary’s at home. We’ve shown the capability of doing that. It’s just a matter of kids doing it,” Smith said. 

Rock Creek has shown the ability to play well at home and on the road behind the play of junior Coley Burgess and senior Brady Schneider. Burgess leads the team in points averaging 13.8 points per game, adding 3.1 assists per game, while Schneider averages 10.8 points per game, adding 7 rebounds per game. Burgess, Schneider, and the Rock Creek Mustangs look to take on Bishop Miege on Wednesday at The Rock. To increase the home court advantage, students as well as parents, involved or not, need to show up and cheer Rock Creek on.