Breaking News
  • High School Varsity Track @ Wamego May 3, 2024
  • High School Softball Banquet May 2, 2024 @ High School Cafeteria
  • May 4, 2024 (Saturday) Forensic and Journalism State Competitions
  • No School May 1, 2024

The Hoof Print

The Student News Site of Rock Creek High School

The Hoof Print

The Hoof Print

Art at the Rock

The Rock Creek Art Guild takes on new projects for the year.
Alexis befriends one of the cats at the animal shelter.

Throughout all the clubs we have in our school, Art Guild is often considered a safe haven for kids to discover their skills and use creativity. Art guild gives kids all types of opportunities to better enhance their education such as offering scholarships, projects, fundraisers, and a chance to engage in activities they deeply enjoy. 

Ivy Smole, one of the group’s leaders, speaks on her experience, “I really like art. I thought it’d be a good experience, life experience, I like that we all worked together,”. Art guild brings students together and allows them to be a part of projects they might not have a chance to participate in otherwise.

Smole shares her achievements,“I have won an honorable mention at Highland, which is really hard to do, actually. And I think I’m one out of two people that have ever actually won anything there,” says Smole. The group has significantly helped Ivy better her painting skills and has given her incredible opportunities. 

When asked about what she wishes the art guild would offer, Smole says, “Oh, my gosh, more murals, and then also actually get support from the school, because it doesn’t happen,”. Emma Pittenger, a freshman in art guild, supports this statement, expressing, “I think it would just be cool if we could find opportunities that are not just mural painting, but more like doing stuff out in public,”. Art guild gives many opportunities, but with increased support they could expand their experiences. 

“I like that we will just show up to school at 6:30 to paint something and do cool things like go to the animal shelter,” states Conor Feathers, a freshman in art guild. Feathers suggests expanding the group’s work to painting murals in places like his mom’s restaurant and locations around the town to add more color to our city. 

The art guild recently went to an animal shelter to take pictures and meet all of the cats and dogs. “It was really fun meeting all of the cats. One of the cats we met, his name was Chubs, was my favorite because he was really silly and we got some cool pictures of him,” expresses Pittenger. The group loved going to the animal shelter and seeing the animals. Chubs was one of the group’s favorites, but all of the animals they met hold a special place in their hearts. 

Pittenger reflects on her favorite opportunities of art guild, “Well, so far we’ve worked on a couple of things that I’ve at least been a part of, and I just like using my creativity to help the community out with things like painting murals, or helping with concessions. So that’s pretty cool,”. 

Art guild serves as a perfect starting point for kids growing their art skills, and provides them with the opportunity to be a part of a supportive community. “It’s actually really fun. And we’re not just a group of weird kids. We help out around here.”, explains Smole. 

Art guild offers countless opportunities and benefits, including promoting creativity, providing a community, and allowing students unique opportunities. “Mr. V, makes some fire hashbrowns. So, you know, just talk to Mr. V if you want to join,” concludes Pittenger.