Breaking News
  • High School Varsity Track @ Wamego May 3, 2024
  • High School Softball Banquet May 2, 2024 @ High School Cafeteria
  • May 4, 2024 (Saturday) Forensic and Journalism State Competitions
  • No School May 1, 2024

The Hoof Print

The Student News Site of Rock Creek High School

The Hoof Print

The Hoof Print

Liv Bowman’s Voyage: Navigating Dreams

Olivia+Bowman+working+on+an+article.+
Emma Pittenger
Olivia Bowman working on an article.

In the bustling halls of Rock Creek, Olivia Bowman, a high school sophomore shares some of the aspirations and love she has for her school experience so far. Spanning from her journalistic expedition to her passions, come with me and Miss Bowman as we dive into the world of High School and Advanced Journalism. 

“Definitely my writing is both what I’m really proud of and need improvement on,” Bowman said. “Obviously there’s going to be little errors here and there, but I adore my writing and I’ve gotten so many compliments on it.” 

Bowman stated several times how much she loves writing. Along with her love for Journalism, she also enjoys the field of creative writing. She often writes Romance Fiction and takes inspiration from Young Adult fiction writer, Ashley Herring Blake. 

“I love taking photos of sunsets, people, and football games, but I’m not good at it by any means,” Bowman said. “Football games are really my biggest struggle…I am not the best at photography.”

Bowman expressed, despite some of her endeavors with photography. Despite occasionally taking photos for her Instagram page or for her personal enjoyment, she states she often finds it as not something she is interested in. 

“I’m working on an interview and a feature story, which is going kinda well…I mean, I want to create more,” Bowman said. “Eventually, by the time I’m a senior, I’m hoping to be in a position like Ashley, where I’m the chief.” 

Furthermore, I asked about her achievements so far with the Rock Creek Journalism group. She explained to me, apart from past work, that her feature story is about one of our students on “Pole Climbing” or “Powerline Climbing”. She goes on to talk about some more of her work that she finds gratifying. 

“For Intro, our competitions that we would enter. That is so much fun. We have write nights and they’re just a joy, stressful, but a joy,” Bowman said.

She goes between her favorite impelled pursuits throughout her two years of journalism. Intro Journalism and Advanced Journalism have different projects but one of the activities the two classes have gotten together to achieve was our “Bigs’ and Littles’ Projects”. Therefore, Bowman expressed she was thrilled about the project we had together that day. 

“Career-wise? I have a few. But my top one is to be an author and write about mental health and just disorders and how to deal with them,” Bowman said. “[For example] here’s like medication, here’s how you spot it. And that’s why I’m also going to major in psychology.”

We talked about some of Bowman’s dreams and targets for potential jobs after high school. She conveyed an interest in writing of course, but also with sparks in the medical fields. She also expressed a drive to help people through her passion of writing whether it was in mental health books, medicine, or dealing with medical illnesses. 

I want to pursue my backup job as a journalist,” Bowman said.

Bowman expresses that after high school she is also interested in possibly pursuing a degree in the journalism field as well. From her many potential jobs, as she had previously indicated, a Journalist is not at the top, but a second option that she would be fond of. 

As Liv Bowman reflects on her high school journey, it’s evident that her passion for writing and journalism is deeply intertwined with her aspirations. From her love for stories to her targets of a career in mental health writing, Bowman’s many dreams show her determination to make a meaningful impact, both through words and potential progress in the medical field. As she continues on in the multiple realms of creativity, journalism,

A journalism journey. Sophomore & “journalism big” Olivia Bowman shares her experiences in journalism in a candid interview with her “journalism little” freshman, Emma Pittenger. (Taylor Glenn )

and psychology, Bowman emerges as an enthusiastic individual, set up to carve a unique path blending her love for storytelling and her desire to contribute to the well-being of others around her.